6 c whole-wheat flour 3 pkgs yeast (3 T)
By Mixer: Beat at medium-slow speed for about 3 minutes or until dough is springy.
- Liquids which are too hot will kill the yeast. Test the cooked oatmeal for temperature by placing a drop on the inside of your wrist. It should feel neither hot nor cold.
- Be careful to not work in any more flour than necessary to keep the dough from sticking. Too much flour harms the quality of the final product.
- For raising, I coat a crock bowl with about 1 teaspoon canola oil. I always put the dough in the bowl and then flip it over. That leaves the top of the dough with a thin coating of oil so it will not dry out during raising.
- I grease my baking pans with shortening.
- All-purpose flour may be substituted for bread flour. The gluten may be eliminated. However, using both produces a nicely textured loaf.